FUN FACT: The amount of energy the United States uses every year to power our air conditioners is about the same amount of energy consumed by the entire continent of Africa.
With record temperatures approaching in the Valley of the Sun, most people are running their air conditioning units morning, noon, and night. This is the time of year when our utility bills rise higher than the mercury in thermometers. There are ways where air conditioning savings can be incorporated into your busy lifestyle, though, saving you both money and energy.
Here are ten things you can do now to start saving:
- Don’t allow the sun’s rays to make it into your home. Keep your windows covered with curtains that block out the heat so the interior of your home stays cool.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible. The smaller the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your utility bill will be.
- Avoid setting your thermostat at an abnormally lower setting when you turn on you’re a/c, as it won’t cool your home any faster and could cause mechanical problems with your HVAC unit.
- Turn your ceiling fans on only in rooms where people are present, which creates a wind chill effect, and enjoy up to 4° cooler temps in those spaces. Ceiling fans should be turning counter-clockwise during the hotter months.
- Install efficient lighting, like CFLs or LEDs, which run cooler than traditional incandescent light bulbs.
- Caulk around windows and use weather stripping around doors to prevent hot air from entering your home.
- Turn the temperature of your water heater to 120°, which also helps you avoid being scalded.
- Line dry clothes instead of using the dryer after washing them to avoid heating up your home.
- Replace a/c filters monthly to optimize efficiency and keep your home cool through the extreme heat of our desert summers.
- Have your ductwork checked for leaks, which can account for 25% of cooling costs.
Scheduling regular maintenance for your cooling equipment will also keep your air conditioning system running optimally. John’s can help you keep comfortable all year long by examining your ductwork and checking your whole house for air balancing issues (if you have certain rooms which are warmer or cooler than others). Just Call John’s for all your HVAC needs.