The term “energy audit” may sound a little intimidating, but in fact it can be an excellent way to improve your home’s energy efficiency and save you a great deal off your monthly bills. Considering how hot our summers get in Mesa, AZ, an energy audit can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the course of a year. A trained technician comes to your home and performs a thorough inspection, then makes recommendations based on those findings.
There are usually five specific areas that the technician focuses on to make your household more energy efficient. We’ve spelled them out below, as a way of explaining how an energy audit can help you.
- HVAC System. A heating and air conditioning unit becomes less efficient as it gets older and/or has experienced multiple breakdowns. An energy audit can reveal some of those issues and help determine whether your unit is performing as it should, or whether it might be time for a replacement.
- Ductwork. Ducts can suffer build-up inside over time, and mold or bacteria can grow around the edges. Ducts can also spring leaks, which cost you a great deal in lost efficiency.
- Air Leaks and Insulation. Air leaks include leaky window frames and those cracks under your door, while insulation prevents heat from escaping in the winter and getting in during the summer. Both can be improved if needed with comparatively little effort.
- Improved Appliances and Lighting. Energy efficient light bulbs are a great way to save money on expenses, as is replacing an outdated appliance with a newer energy-efficient model.
- Renewable Energy Sources. Depending on the home, you could benefits from our hot Arizona sun with the addition of solar panels or similar renewable energy sources.
The energy audit is the first step to all of this, determining which parts of your home can benefit from an upgrade and what kind of long-term savings you can enjoy with it. The experts at John’s Refrigeration are here to help, so give us a call today.