In honor of Air Conditioning Appreciation Week (which should be a public holiday in Mesa, AZ!) John’s Refrigeration Heating and Cooling would like to point out a few cool facts about air conditioning and why we should be grateful for a/c:
- The first air conditioner was invented by Willis Carrier for a publishing company in 1902 in order to keep temperature and humidity low so that the paper did not expand and contract. A/C also helped ink to dry faster and smudge free.
- The term “air conditioning” came from a North Carolina textile manufacturer in 1906 because the technology actually improved the quality and condition of the cloth being made in his plant.
- During the Depression, movie theatres were one of the few buildings that had air conditioning, making them the coolest places in town. People would flock to theatres just so they could enjoy the cooled air. This is why movie studios started releasing their most lavish productions in the summer, creating the tradition of the summer blockbuster.
- Before air conditioning, many businesses and industries used to slow down or even stop during the summer because the buildings were just too hot, affecting production. American workers used to get a month-long vacation in August due to these breaks and some European businesses continue this practice.
- Air conditioning actually helps us live longer, since the cool, controllable environments in laboratories and hospitals have allowed us to create medicines that conquer malaria, inhibit bacteria, and advance developments in surgery.
Have John’s service your system at the beginning and end of each cooling season to ensure efficiency because if you treat your air conditioning unit well, it will continue to give you comfort. We want your family to be cool and comfortable all summer long and our Indoor Comfort Specialists will take the heat out of your summer.