The biggest reason a low level carbon monoxide (CO) monitor is important to health is that CO is the #1 cause of poisonings around the world. At John’s Refrigeration we help our customers create healthy home environment which is why we want you to understand the importance of installing a low level CO monitor. Understanding the causes, symptoms and prevention of CO poisoning keeps your family healthier and can even save lives.
Carbon monoxide enters the home in different ways. Sources include water heater, gas range, space heaters, negative pressure in the home and from vehicles in your attached garage. Because these are all common in the home, we suggest monitoring the levels of CO in your home.
Most CO monitors don’t alarm until the CO level reaches 70 parts per million (PPM) for more than three hours. OSHA and the World Health Organization’s guidelines are 15-35 ppm. That leaves a lot of time for your family’s health to be compromised.
Poisoning from carbon monoxide (CO) is often initially misdiagnosed as the flu. When CO enters the bloodstream it prevents oxygen from reaching vital organs including the heart and brain. Symptoms include dizziness, headache, GI issues and other flu-like symptoms. The interesting part is that symptoms are less severe when you are away from a home or building with higher levels of CO; that’s not common with the flu or other non-CO poisoning illnesses.
Preventing CO poisoning includes the following steps:
- Testing CO levels in your home by a professional HVAC installer.
- Annual inspection and servicing of HVAC systems. We offer preventative maintenance packages to all new and existing customers. Visit http://www.johnsrefrigeration.com/service for additional information.
- Never use a charcoal grill or portable generator in an enclosed space like a home, garage or shed.
- Never use a gas stove or oven to heat your home.
- Install low level carbon monoxide detector in your home. We can help you find one.
- Understand the symptoms of CO poisoning including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and vomiting. Leave the home and get to a hospital for treatment.
Contact us to learn the options offered by John’s Refrigeration for CO testing, low level CO monitors and all your HVAC needs.