Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. Every home can have CO: even an oven in the cleaning cycle produces CO, not just vehicles in an attached garage like many people think. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) states that thousands become ill and about 170 people die every year in the US from CO produced by non-automotive consumer products.
The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu and include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. High level CO poisoning has more severe symptoms, including confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and ultimately death. If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately and call the fire department from a neighbor’s home.
Be proactive about CO exposure in your home:
- Don’t cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil, which blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can produce CO.
- During home renovations and repairs, make sure appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris and that appliances are in proper working order when the work is complete.
- Have your HVAC unit professionally inspected and serviced annually to ensure proper operation.
- Install CO monitors in your home to detect the presence of this deadly gas.
John’s Refrigeration offers a professional grade, low level, carbon monoxide monitor, which continuously scans your home for CO. Our monitor detects CO levels as low as 5 parts per million (ppm), which is far below what monitors sold at the big box stores offer. Installed by our technicians, these monitors also have a digital display that shows any level of CO and include a two year warranty.
The CPSC recommends that one CO monitor be installed in the hallway outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area of the home. Installing a CO alarm can provide some added protection, but is no substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce CO.
Carbon monoxide kills – protect your family and call John’s Refrigeration Heating and Cooling; where you get a commitment, not just a response.