Energy savings is on the minds of most homeowners, even if saving money uses more of our brain cells. However, energy savings and saving money often go hand in hand.
Looking for ways to do both has never been easier with these tips:
- Switch your ceiling fan to turn in a counter-clockwise direction in the summer, but clockwise in the winter. However, be sure to turn fans off when you leave; fans only cool people, not rooms.
- Replace your a/c air filters once a month to keep your HVAC system running at optimal performance.
- Set your thermostat fan switch to “auto”; leaving it in the “on” position keeps air running constantly.
- Block the sun from overheating your home by using shades, blinds and drapes; outside, use awnings, trees and shrubs.
- Give your a/c a tune-up. Proper maintenance saves money and energy and lengthens the life of your HVAC unit.
- Open interior doors so that cooled or heated air flows freely throughout your home.
- Don’t block air vents with drapes or furniture so that air gets to where it needs to.
- Repair leaky ducts to reduce heating and cooling costs, as well as to keep pollutants from irritating allergies.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature in your home.
- Give your HVAC system space to work efficiently. Never stack anything against or on it.
We discuss several of these tips in further detail on our site’s blog section, so click on the links to find out more so you can start saving energy and money today.