If you thought traffic was busier this week, you’re not alone. It’s back to school in Gilbert, which means being extra mindful in and around schools. Kids aren’t always paying attention, making it important for adults to be on alert to keep everyone safe.
Here are our tips for back to school in Gilbert:
- Start earlier. We get a bit spoiled in the summer when traffic is lighter. Adjust your schedule so you can drive safely in the additional traffic to get to your appointments, school, and work on time and without incident. And let’s face it, we should be careful drivers all year round!
- School zones = No phone zones. In addition to staying off your cell phone in school zones (and anytime you’re driving), be sure to adhere to the school zone speed limits. You never know when someone will be in the crosswalk and you don’t want to cause an accident.
- Stay hydrated. It might be back to school time, but the summer heat can still be felt as temperatures continue to hover over 100 degrees. Send children to the bus stop with water and be sure they have water when they get home. It’s hard to learn if you’re dehydrated.
- Sweet treats. Many schools do not allow homemade baked goods to be brought to school. Find a local bakery – like Lesley’s Creative Cakes in Gilbert – to supply your child’s classroom with tasty treats for celebrations.
- Stay Safe. Children model themselves after the adults in their lives. Take time to teach children good safety habits like looking both ways before crossing the street, using crosswalks, and wearing bike helmets.
Be an example to the children in your community by being safe as we’re heading back to school in Gilbert.